While some people are lucky enough to be employed by a company that offers group health insurance, others find themselves on the other end of the equation. In this situation, you are forced to find health insurance on your own. While this may sound like a challenging task, it is something that millions of people are already doing. You simply need to learn how to join them.
Check with your Spouse First
If you are married and your spouse is employed, you may find that you an be added to his or her health insurance policy. At the very least, this is something to consider. You may find that this is the quickest way to obtain coverage, even if you have to pay some or all of the premium.
For those who are not eligible for coverage through their spouse, the following steps can help:
1. Use the internet to learn more. From finding the companies that sell health insurance to learning about the policies that are available, when you go online you will find yourself in good position to make an informed decision.
2. Request quotes on your own or use a broker. Either way, the end goal is the same: you want to obtain at least three quotes from reputable health insurance providers. This will give you a clear understanding of the industry, while also putting you in position to ask any questions that may be on your mind.
3. Compare cost and coverage. It is easy to believe that all health insurance companies offer the same coverage at a similar price, but nothing could be further from the truth.
For the majority of buyers, the cost of health insurance coverage is the most important detail. Even though you may realize there are other details to consider, it is safe to say that you have a budget in mind.
As important as it may be to stay within budget, you don’t want to overlook the coverage you are getting in return. Focus on the many details of the policy including but not limited to: deductible, co-pays, coinsurance, and in-network providers.
4. Complete the application. Before you can receive coverage, you are required to complete a detailed application with the company you are interested in buying from. It may take some time to do so, but this is all part of the process.
Tip: you must be 100 percent accurate when completing a health insurance application. You must make it clear if you have any pre-existing conditions.
5. Purchase a long-term policy or one that can bridge the gap. Some people shop for a health insurance policy that can provide coverage over the long run. Others, however, are more interested in short-term coverage that provides protection until they find a better option. Either way, you don’t want to delay when making a purchase.
Ideally, you would be able to receive health insurance coverage through your employer’s group plan. If this does not work out for any reason, follow the steps above to purchase an individual policy.